The top 5 reason why SLIPKNOT is one of the top Metal bands today!!!
Back a long long time ago (1999) the metal gods stretched out their hands and blessed the world with the one of the heaviest bands of the 20th century. This nine-piece band put Des Moines, Iowa on the map. Before Slipknot, Des Moines was known for being the major center for the U.S. insurance industry, I know so exciting. So here are my top 5 reasons why I love this band
1) First and foremost the music. This heavy metal/nu metal band has put out a total of five albums thus far in their career spanning almost 20 years since their first album:
Their first album, self titled Slipknot (1999)
Iowa (2001) which peaked at No. 3 on the album charts
VOL 3 (The Subliminal Verses)(2004) which peaked at No. 2 on the album charts
All Hope Is Gone (2008) which debuted at No. 1 on the billboard charts, and the last album before Paul Gray’s death in 2010 and the last with drummer Joey Jordison who’s left the band in 2013 ( I won’t speculate on whether he left or was fired but it was later reveled he suffered from transverse myelitis) and their most recent album
.5: The Gray Chapter (2014), the first album with the new line up including Alessandro Venturella on bass and Jay Weinberg on drums (former band member Donnie Steele covered bass on a few tracks and #6 Shawn Crahan covered drums on some track of which are unknown.)
All their albums have been certified Platinum so far with the exception of .5 The Gray Chapter. With each album this band has grown musically in one way or another, and has progressed so far as a band, and has not been locked into just one sound. I think that definitely separates them from the rest. I also feel they have progressed musically in their sound with each album getting better and better than the last.
2. Now that I have the albums out of the way here are some of my favorite songs from each album. I have been listening to Slipknot since their first album came out and of course “Wait and Bleed” is one of my favorite songs off their first album.
I also love “Spit It Out” and “Surfacing.” From the second album Iowa “The Heretic Anthem” with the lyrics “if your 555 I’m 666.”
From Vol 3 “The Blister Exists” “Vermillion Pts. 1&2” and “Before I Forget.”
From All Hope is Gone “Dead Memories” “Psychosocial.”
And last but certainly not least .5 The Gray Chapter one of my all time favorites “The Devil in I” along with “Custer.”
Each of these songs I like for different reasons and each and every song by them is great in its on way. But these few are some of my favorites I can continuously listen to and not get tired of.
3. They have to be one of the best live shows I have ever seen. These guys really take it to the extreme. The have some of the best pyro technics and stage performances I have experienced, and I have been to a lot of concerts over the last 20 years. The amount of energy put out by lead singer #8 Corey Taylor is astounding. He is all over the place and works the whole crowd the entire show. Along with Corey you can find #0 Sid Wilson going absolutely ape shit on stage as well running and jumping off his rig and around the stage. In years previous you could find him stage diving off different parts of the stage into the crowd which has gotten him into some trouble in the past. If you have never seen them I encourage you to do so because you will not be disappointed, and if your lucky enough to get a spot on the rail in front of the stage don’t give it up because you will get to see every part of what I’m talking about with an unobstructed view.
4. I want to talk a little bit about their uniforms and masks. The masks originally stem from #6 Shawn Crahan a.k.a. Clown who wore a clown mask to rehearsals early on. All of his mask have had some kind of clown theme. They decided early on that they were going to wear matching jumpsuits, which I feel really joins them together as a band with the one common uniform. I also love the fact that each band member has their own unique mask which they have designed themselves. Now I know bands wearing masks and having their faces painted isn’t a new thing, but what I really like is that with every album almost every member does something different. A few have stayed the same but have made subtle changes like #3 Chris Fehn a.k.a Mr Pickle Nose whose mask has stayed the same but changes color with each album. Another is #5 Craig Jones a.k.a 133 MHz (referencing the processing speed of his computer) who originally wore woman’s pantyhose over his face, then switched to a crash helmet with long nails throughout the head, and finally settled with a bondage mask with the nail in it and a zipper over the mouth area. All in all most of the members have had drastic changes in their masks over the years which I love. When the band performs “Vermillion” live they all wear each of their own death masks.
5. One of the best things about this band is the fan base. They have some of the most loyal fans I have ever met. Whether they are young or old, male or female these fans truly bleed for this band. The fans, who are known as Maggots, show up in mass numbers to support them at live shows. Having been a fan since the beginning and having seen them live several times over the years, I can tell you how much they mean to their fans. From the beginning of every show there is an electric buzz in the air as the fans wait for Slipknot to take the stage, and when they do all hell breaks loose. You can find fans all over the world who not only rep the band with merchandise such as shirts, hats and wristbands, you can also find them with stickers small and large on their cars, and for the few hardcore fans, they have gotten tattoos of the icon Slipknot “S” or lyrics from the band’s songs.
Even with everything that has gone on with the band through out the years, they never slow down and they never stop. With the death of Paul and the exit of Joey and even recently with Corey’s neck injury, they never stopped. When I saw them recently in Chicago, Corey had to wear a neck brace but he still brought all the energy and still put forth an amazing show. So if you find yourself in Kentucky at the Louder Than Life Festival on 10/1-10/2 make sure you stay till the end and check out Slipknot. It will be one of the best shows, if not the best show, you will see all weekend.