Photo Courtesy of Jim Blackwell
Lacey Sturm will be joining the incredible lineup of Shiprocked artists this year, and I want to let you know why you need to make sure to check her out! Artists on Shiprocked are given two performances on the ship, so make sure you get out to see her!
- For those of you who may have been living under a rock, Sturm was the singer of a super successful band called Flyleaf. While she admits those days weren’t 100% positive for her, it certainly garnered her a huge following and loyal fan base. I was a huge Flyleaf fan when I was in high school, so getting to see Lacey on the ship is something I’m very much looking forward to.
- Sturm isn’t just an incredible singer, she’s a best-selling author as well! Her book, The Reason I Discovered a Life Worth Living, chronicles her journey through life’s ups and downs and ultimately how she found Christianity. It’s a dark story with a truly positive and happy ending. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. Her second book, The Mystery: Finding True Love in a World of Broken Lovers, is a great read as well.
- Her first solo album, Life Screams, is amazing. It’s like listening to a story; a transformation. With some writing help from husband Josh Sturm and the incredible Korey Cooper (Skillet), it came out beautifully as a personal narrative for Sturm. It’s refreshing in this day and age to hear songs with a positive message. “Impossible,” the debut single, is so uplifting.
- Not all artists are able to capture raw emotion and express it through music so openly. Sturm really let us into her world and didn’t hold back. It’s that kind of honesty that makes me love her so much. From opening up about dark things like depression and thoughts of suicide, to finding happiness in her faith, she isn’t one to say that now life is all sunshine and rainbows though. She’s open about fights with her husband and how it can be difficult to work through that. She’s just an incredibly admirable person.
- Last but not least, let’s talk about Lacey’s voice! Still as beautiful and unique as ever, Sturm’s pipes have only gotten better with time. She has a real gift and what a blessing it is that she is willing to share it with us.
Whether you are going on the Shiprocked Cruise or not, Lacey Sturm is someone you want on your radar. Life Screams is available now and well worth the listen. Her books are available on Amazon and other major retailers.
Photo Courtesy of Mike Hagist